We have detailed information on the website for individuals and businesses seeking employment advice. Please refer to these pages for details on our expertise and experience and how we can assist; businesses, individuals.
Most of our services are provided and charged with reference to hourly rates which range from £190 - £325 plus VAT depending on expertise and experience.
Should you need to lodge a claim at tribunal, we will seek to support you with the best value advice and representation. We do not offer a fixed fee for such litigation but will usually set out an estimate of costs for each stage of the case which will vary depending on the complexity of the matter. Straightforward cases of breach of contract and wages cases can range from £2,000-5,000 plus VAT, unfair dismissal cases can cost between £3,000 and £9,000 plus VAT, and complex cases involving whistleblowing and discrimination over a protracted period may cost upwards of £10,000 plus VAT. These figures do not include barrister or solicitor fees for representation at the hearing itself should the matter not settle beforehand. For a shorter case (1-3 days), costs of representation can start from £1500 plus VAT. Cases that take longer (5-10 days) can be upwards of £5,000 plus VAT.
Cases that involve disability discrimination (respondent or claimant) usually cost more to litigate.
The fees set out above cover all of the work in relation to the following key stages of a claim:
- Taking your initial instructions, reviewing the papers and advising you on merits and likely compensation (this is likely to be revisited throughout the matter and subject to change)
- Entering into pre-claim conciliation where this is mandatory to explore whether a settlement can be reached;
- Preparing claim or response
- Reviewing and advising on claim or response from other party
- Exploring settlement and negotiating settlement throughout the process
- preparing or considering a schedule of loss
- Preparing for (and attending) a Preliminary Hearing
- Exchanging documents with the other party and agreeing a bundle of documents
- Taking witness statements, drafting statements and agreeing their content with witnesses
- preparing bundle of documents
- Reviewing and advising on the other party's witness statements
- agreeing a list of issues, a chronology and/or cast list
- Preparation and attendance at Final Hearing, including instructions to Counsel
Many cases settle before reaching hearing and this will have an impact on the cost depending on when/if settlement is reached.
We always advise clients to check the availability of legal expenses cover as this can pay for some or all of the costs of litigation even if it does not cover the costs of advice before the end of the employment relationship.
The time that it takes from taking your initial instructions to the final resolution of your matter depends largely on the stage at which your case is resolved. If a settlement is reached during pre-claim conciliation, your case is likely to take 2-4 weeks. If your claim proceeds to a Final Hearing, your case is likely to take at least 52 weeks. This is just an estimate and we will of course be able to give you a more accurate timescale once we have more information and as the matter progresses.